Reporting to the Director of Artistic Operations, the Technical Director is responsible for leading a team of stage technicians, interns, and apprentices providing technical, stage, and backstage support for productions, events and other activities taking place in the theatre. A key member of the Venice Institute for Performing Arts team, the Technical Director plans, organizes and directs the technical aspects of events and activities, including stage set-up, lighting, sound and related production functions for professional productions and community presentations. This job will require working nights, weekends, and some holidays dependent on event schedule.
The Technical Director position is responsible for overseeing all technical aspects of the theatre, including managing equipment, supervising/training/educating crew/apprentices that operate lighting, sound, rigging and set construction, use and maintenance of stage facilities, overall organization of the technical process, as well as theatre operations such as researching and purchasing materials, organizing strike and clean-up after productions, maintaining inventory of equipment and supplies, and ensuring the overall safety of users of the theatre. Must be experienced with theatrical construction techniques and be able to work independently, without direct supervision; have superior communication and organizational skills; knowledge of all areas of technical theatre very helpful; experience with short changeovers.
• Collaborate with Director of Artistic Operations on implementation of yearly plans and goals related to the Theatre, staffing, and maintenance of the facility.
• Assist Director of Artistic Operations in preparing season to include production budgets and cost analysis to satisfy requirements of technical riders and complete the schedule.
• Provide feedback, when requested, during the strategic planning process
• Continuously analyze competitive environment and technical trends to assist in the strategic planning process
• Provide leadership with recommendations for facility maintenance and improvements, including suggested budgets for such projects.
• Determine the appropriate number of staff/apprentices needed to execute riders completely and partner with the Production Assistant and Director of Artistic Operations to complete necessary hiring.
• Update and revise inventory and technical rider for the Venice Performing Arts Center.
• Implement/create policies regarding safety in backstage area including fire and emergency exit plan for artist and production crew, clear pathways, etc.
Planning & Execution of Events:
• Supervise stage set-up for all events at the Venice Performing Arts Center. This includes but is not limited to supervision of the set-up of all equipment, lighting, sound, video where required, other special performance requirements for all rehearsals and concerts and day-to-day operations.
• Coordinate load-in, rehearsal, load-out and any special needs in all spaces.
• Supervise or design, hang, focus, program operate and strike all lighting requirements, including all rigging and lighting board operations, as needed.
• Supervise the implementation and operation of all sound requirements, including all rigging, microphone placement, monitor systems, and board operations, as needed.
• Coordinate with the House Manager to maintain the starting time and intermission interval of each event.
• Provide performers with appropriate cues as required.
• Negotiate directly with the product vendors for purchase/rental of production/stage equipment.
• Supervise maintenance of all Venice Performing Arts Center stage equipment, including but not limited to lighting, sound systems, video system, pit mechanisms, and fly system.
• Participate fully and directly in all duties and responsibilities of the production crew.
• Responsible for organization and maintenance of the theatre construction shop and ensure a clean and safe workplace.
VIP Arts Academy:
• Responsible for supervising and instructing students in technical responsibilities for the theatre complex.
• Responsible for the training and mentoring of apprentices in all technical areas including but not limited to lighting, sound, video, and rigging.
• Assist in the creation and implementation of the VIP Arts Academy technical theatre education segments.
• Eight years professional experience or equivalent education required.
• Experience and training must be in Technical Theatre, Shop Management, Lighting Scene Design, and Sound Design required.
• Must be able to provide and supervise maintenance of theatre equipment.
• Strong interpersonal and organizational skills required.
• Must be able to work weekends, evenings, and some holidays.
Salary: $43,000 + health and 401K options
FLSA Status: Exempt
Venice Performing Arts Center
1 Indian Ave
Venice, Florida 34285
Application Deadline: June 15th, 2019
Start Date: July 1st, 2019