About the Venice Institute for Performing Arts:
The Venice Institute for Performing Arts (VIPA) has a mission to sustain the local arts community through innovative educational programs and inspire the local community with first-class entertainment. As the management company for the Venice Performing Arts Center, VIPA works with all of the groups that use the space to produce, co-produce, manage, and coordinate over 200 events each season. VIPA has a $1.85 million dollar a year impact on the local economy, and this number grows each year as more and more people come to enjoy this beautiful facility. We have 5 educational programs and are able to bring performing arts educational to more than 2,000 Sarasota County youth each season. VIPA launched its VIP Arts Academy during the 2018-2019 season, bringing all of its educational programs under one roof. Students who graduate from the VIP Arts Academy enter the workforce with career-ready skills that can be applied to both the performing arts or any other career they choose.
Reporting to the Director of Artistic Operations, the Production Assistant is responsible for providing ample support to the Production Department as well as managing events throughout the season. This key-member of the Production Department is a leader, and innovator ensuring the success of performances. This job will require working nights, weekends, and some holidays dependent on event schedule.
The primary responsibilities of the Production Assistant (PA) include timely arrival and departure; supervision of the performance and catering staff; ensuring that rider requirements of hospitality are met while artists are on the grounds and with our hospitality partners; create transportation reservations for artists; managing performances as the event manage; solving issues as they occur; ensuring safety protocols are met; delight and assist artists; conduct production meetings with Director of Artistic Operations and Technical Director; perform in-venue show advances with the Technical Director; create thorough reports pertaining to equipment and performance issues/highlights; ensure all backline and equipment has been ordered and accounted for.
- Assist Director of Artistic Operations in preparing season to include production budgets and cost analysis to satisfy requirements of technical riders and complete the schedule.
- Provide feedback, when requested, during the strategic planning process
- Partner with the Technical Director and Director of Artistic Operations to create schedules for staff members and apprentices.
- Collect and retain all information pertaining to performances, ensuring that any requests from artists are completed to the best of your ability.
- Make hospitality reservations including rooms and transportation. Confirm all reservations regularly.
- Work with Director of Artistic Operations to ensure that all positions have been filled for each performance. Contact all staff to relay any pertinent information and to ensure everyone has time to prepare for the upcoming performance.
- Create accurate day-of schedules with the assistance of the Technical Director and Director of Artistic Operations to include load-in, rehearsals, breaks, and strike.
Planning & Execution of Events:
- Ensure catering and hospitality is completed and ensure that staff is regularly stocking and cleaning hospitality areas. If staff is not available, step in to assist in catering needs.
- Facilitate any issues that may arise during a performance with the assistance of the Technical Director.
- Use common theatre knowledge navigate backstage areas and ensure that safety protocols are being followed.
- Consistently check in with all departments through each performance. Check in with interns and apprentices to ensure that are safe, have direction, and see if there are any learning opportunities for them.
- Perform all performance day tasks including unlocking the necessary doors, setting up printed materials, ensuring that supplies are ready, making sure personnel arrive on time, make sure spaces are kept clean, make contact with Front of House Manager to ensure open communication, etc.
- Post-strike ensure that all areas are cleared, doors are locked, and artists, staff, and volunteers have vacated the facility, and write a report about the performance to be given to the Director of Artistic Operations.
- Assist staff, apprentices, and volunteers with their duties.
- Work closely with the House Manager, and Box Office Manager to ensure the safety and competence of staff and volunteers.
VIP Arts Academy:
- Assist in the creation and implementation of the VIP Arts Academy technical theatre education segments.
- Become a regular educator for the Arts Academy.
- Become an integral member of Arts Academy productions.
- Develop mentoring relationships with students.
- Four years professional experience or equivalent education required.
- Experience and training must be in Technical Theatre, Shop Management, Lighting Scene Design, and Sound Design required.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills required.
- Must be able to work weekends, evenings, and some holidays.
Salary: Competitive salary plus health and 401(k) options
FLSA Status: Exempt
Venice Performing Arts Center
1 Indian Ave
Venice, Florida 34285
To Apply: Provide a cover letter and resumé to Sterling Jasa-Phillips via email at firstname.lastname@example.org