Technical Director Job Description
JOB SUMMARY: VIPA’s Technical Director oversees the operation and maintenance of all Audio/Video/Lighting/Staging equipment at the Venice Performing Arts Center. The Technical Director works alongside other members of the creative team to ensure that all services and events are executed with excellence while constantly pushing for innovation. The Technical Director develops, oversees, and schedules production staff at VPAC and provides training and other technical support to the staff for all events at VPAC.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Support the culture, mission, and vision of the VPAC
• Attend weekly staff and team meetings
• Manage all A/V/L/S equipment
• Oversee the purchase, maintenance, and operation of all A/V/L/S equipment
• Train and equip staff and volunteers to ensure successful operation of equipment in various rooms and locations
• Work with Executive Director to implement procurement strategies and timelines
• Prepare stages and rooms for rehearsals, presentations, rentals, and events as scheduled
• Determine needs and A/V/L/S requirements of each event
• Contact outside vendors for any backline and audio needs
• Set-up/tear-down equipment
• Focus/aim all lighting
• Patch and program consoles
• Manage necessary stage plots, input lists, Riders, etc.
• Manage and educate any technical apprentices
• Recruit, develop, and equip technical teams for events, services, and rentals
• Update detailed weekly service and event technical notes for all creative tech positions
• Provide direction to all tech leads to ensure services and events are consistently executed on time and with wow-making excellence
• Serve as Technical Director for all services and events
• Other tasks as needed
Skills & Requirements
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including experience working in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word and Excel
• Solid time management skills with minimal oversight
• Availability to work evening and weekend hours to support all VIPA events and services.
• Expert knowledge of audio systems
• Large-format digital consoles
• Signal flow and troubleshooting
• Room acoustics and tuning
• Personal audio monitoring (IEM) and Wedge Monitors
• Knowledge of focusing and hanging lights
• Light board operation
• Expert knowledge of theatrical lighting for all types of events
• Ability to train volunteers on the operation of equipment
• Expert knowledge of video media in the context of concert and presentation events
• Broadcast switchers and multiple cameras
• Keyed computer graphics
• Presentation software
• Knowledge of conventional, intelligent, LED, and lighting for video
• Must be technically innovative. Always pushing the organization forward while maintaining
the vision and culture of VIPA.
• Able to troubleshoot in a high-stress environment
• Extremely strong interpersonal skills
• Excellent leadership skills
• Ability to embrace and pursue artistic excellence in services and events
• Experience in CAD software for system and stage design
• Degree (minimum 2-year) in Live Production is preferred
• 5+ years of full-time work experience in live production settings is acceptable
• Experience leading a team of production staff is preferred
• Salary determined by prior experience
• Full time hours with flexibility
• Some holiday availabilities
• Must be available nights and weekends
• One location
Who We Are
The Venice Institute for Performing Arts (VIPA) was established on January 1st, 2016 by Mike and Bonnie Hartley, and became the management company for the Venice Performing Arts Center (VPAC) On January 1st, 2017. VIPA, a 501 (c) 3 public charity, was established for the specific purpose of managing the VPAC, bringing performing arts education to our community, and presenting shows that complement those already presented by the 3 Performing Arts Organizations (PAOs) that also perform in the VPAC. The Venice Institute for Performing Arts has a vision that all members of the Venice community have access to quality performing arts and arts education, regardless of socioeconomic circumstances. We are committed to inclusive and diverse experiences that allow our community to come together and empower each other in times of need and times of prosperity.
The VPAC is owned by the Sarasota County School Board and houses the Venice High School (VHS) Performing Arts Department. Each Year VHS hosts over 120 events in the space, from lectures with world-renowned authors to concerts, plays, and musicals. VHS students are also given the opportunity to participate in the VIP Arts Academy’s Apprenticeship Program, a pre- professional program where students receive career-ready skills in the performing arts.
Half of the funds to build the VPAC came from the city of Venice, allowing for an expanded facility and providing a home for 3 of the city’s beloved Performing Arts Organizations- The Venice Chorale, The Venice Concert Band, and The Venice Symphony. Each organization brings between 3 and 7 fantastic performances to the VPAC during the winter season.
VIPA is proud to work with all these organizations while also bringing world-renowned entertainment and education to our community, and continuing Venice’s legacy of exception performing arts.
To Apply: Please send a Cover Letter and Resume to Louis Duchin via email at email@example.com